Insects, Disease, Environmental, and Nutritional Problems
Does your tree or shrub look sick? We offer a wide variety of treatments and services to correct insect, disease and nutritional problems.
Insects, disease pathogens, poor soil, weather, and even animals can cause a wide variety of damage to trees and shrubs. The good news is, that many tree and shrub problems can be corrected and plants returned to good health. Like with your own health, the key to solving problems is proper diagnosis. Using a wide variety of treatment methods, First Choice Tree Care will inspect and diagnose tree and shrub health issues and provide proactive treatment options for your sick trees.
Treatments Options Include:
- Soil systemic insecticides: Various products, specifically engineered to be absorbed by root systems, are injected into the soil near the base of the tree to control a wide variety of insect pests.
- Spray programs: The most effective technique for controlling foliar diseases or unpredicted insect outbreaks is spraying. We choose effective, low risk products in all our spray programs. Materials are changed at regular intervals to minimize the risk of diseases or insects developing resistance to the controls.
- Trunk injections: Using advanced injection technology, various products useful in the control of wilt diseases (principally oak wilt and Dutch elm disease), wood boring insects (emerald ash borer, bronze birch borer, etc.) and micronutrient deficiencies are injected directly into the trunk of the tree.
- Growth regulators: Applied to reduce canopy growth and sprouting, to invigorate root systems in old and declining trees and to make trees more stress and drought tolerant.
- Antitranspirants: Applied to evergreen trees and shrubs to reduce water loss in winter and resulting ‘winter burn’.
- Animal repellants: Various products are applied to reduce damage to trees and shrubs caused by deer, rabbits, mice and meadow voles.
- Vertical mulching: The purpose of vertical mulching is to aerate compacted soils. Slits are created in the soil where compost is added to facilitate the movement of air into the soil. Girdling root removal- -Roots sometimes encircle the trunk of a tree ‘choking off’ or restricting the flow of water, nutrients and photosynthetic products up and down the trunk. In some situations the roots may be removed to correct the problem.
- Bolting and cabling: Support systems are placed in the upper crown of the tree to support splits in the trunk or main branches or to strengthen weak branch structure.
- Compost Tea / Beneficial Micro-organisms: Tree's roots depend upon bacteria and mycorrhizae to absorb water and nutrients from the soil. Under certain soil conditions the populations of these beneficial micro-organisms is reduced. Products high in mycorrhizae and beneficial bacteria are injected into the soil to fortify root systems.
- Fertilization: Nutrients injected into the soil to speed growth, correct deficiencies, improve over-all heath, and increase resistance to environmental stresses.
We diagnosis and treat a wide variety of problems, including:
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Dutch Elm Disease
- Oak Wilt
- Verticillium Wilt
- Fire Blight
- Two Lined Chestnut Borer
- Bronze Birch Borer
- Linden borer
- Zimmerman moth
- Japanese beetle
- Gypsy Moth
- Tent Caterpillars
- Canker worms
- Army worms
- Leaf hoppers, plant bugs, and aphids
- Scale insects
Evergreen Needle Problems:
- Rhizosphaera needle cast
- Diplodia tip blight
- Dothistroma needle cast
- Swiss needle cast
Other nutritional and enviromental problems:
- Poor soil Fertility
- Iron and Manganese Deficiency
- Root Diseases
- Winter burn
- Soil compaction
- Girdling roots
Leaf Spots and Diseases:
- Apple scab
- Tar Spot
Don’t wait, call us today for a tree care evaluation or consultation, to keep your trees alive and feeling great! Click here to contact us now!
The Unseen Part of Tree Health
Many homeowners hear the word fungus and are alarmed, however, some fungi are great for tree health. One of these fungi is mycorrhiza, which can be found in and around the roots of trees.